Thursday, July 16, 2009

life after great adventure


This is it! We are here in our destination Port in St.Thomas.It really seems like a dream.Did we really go through all the horror or that was just Capt'n.Gary G's fiction writings.Yeah, it is true, at least based on the damage done on the boat inside and out ;we must of gone through rough times to get here but Gary G can put all of the experience in to the great writing not missing a single moment.
I'm trying to get my self together and make some decisions where to start from here ??

Capt'n Bob ;the Bilge monkey Bob is back into the bilge trying to fix the problem with the holding tank.
After he got splashed" unexpectedly" while fixing the problem with the holding tank Bob pronounced loud:"I'm not going back into the bilge for another month no matter what; and where the hell is Bilge Gorilla Gary when I need him ???
Well, Gary George; a.k.a Bilge Gorilla Gary. a.k.a Capt'n Gary, a.k.a Piggy #2 left us on Tuesday on his way back to Boston, back to his family and his friends at Marina Bay. After the experience on high seas on July 4th, that Tuesday July 14th was one of the worst day in our jurney .Gary George, member of our crew , amazing photographer, spectacular writer, excellent McGuiver,true friend who stood by Bob and me all through the end, sharing all the worst that the sea can give us and all the best that the glass of cold white wine can give us at the end of the day, said good bye to us and MaryE.



It took us all day Tuesday after Gary left to recover and to make a closure of this journey from Boston to St.Thomas.Scarry but great experience.I can only say this is the journey that only true friends can make it through together.I will never forget those times when at the highest seas Bob would crawl back from the bilge to the bridge, fighting to stay in balance and not to be washed away from the bridge by waves or the winds asking Gary" I think the waves calmed down or it's my imagination???"Gary would say: " It's your imagination Bob!"

This was only one of so many moments and expiriences through our jurney.The friendship that already exsisted from Marina Bay grew into larger than you can ever imagine.Bob and Gary became not only two greates friends but the respect that they share for each other is now build on and bond by the power of the ocean and the wild waves.They didn't need to say a word when
the problem on the boat accured, just looking at each other they knew what happened and what has to be done immediately to save the boat and our lives.I could never immagine that the 4th of July, the day we all celebrate as Independance Day gahtering togather with friends and families b-bq ing and watching the fireworks at nite will became a day that I will always remember as the day the crew of Mary E was fighting for their lives.
I took my place in my little corner on the bridge early that morning planing as usualy to go back to the cabin make some sandwichis for the guys, get some water etc..never knowing that I will not leave my seat until the end of the day.
The weather was lenient for the first couple of hours but as we were moving away from Turks and Caicos shore, we begun to encounter rough seas.Gradually,evidance of a coming storm were felt all over the vessel.The waves covered the bridge and Bob gave the wheel to Gary.Bob's eyeglasses were covered by the water all the time so he couldn't steer.Gary, as strong as he is was fighting the wind and the waves to keep the boat on course.Later on it was amazing to see all the blisters he developed on his hands by holding the steering wheel so tight .In the meantime Bob took the computer down into the cabin (thank God, it would have been destroyed or blown away into the water)This was our main navigating tool.I don't know how Bob managed to go up and down from the bridge with all the water, waves and the winds but he did it every 10 minutes to make sure that we are on the right course.Was he swimming, sliding,flying ?I don't know.
I tried to keep calm telling my self "it's only for a short time, it will go away; and by the way Bob and Gary are not saying anything ;so it must be all right."
Shortly after I heard Gary saying: "F....... this is getting serious..!!!!"
Bob, standing next to Gary said :"Gary,this dosn't look good at all, sh....."
Than it was a silence.!Nobody said anything, all wraped up in their own thoughts.The wind was howling so strong I couldn't even hear if they said anything.The waves were so high I couldn't believe it. At one second the tip of the wave was above the bridge and a second later the bow of the boat was deap in the hole created by the next wave and covered by the water..It was scarry.......The pitch from bow to stern grew more and more severe,roll from port to starboard increased by every wave.The sound of series of crunching bumps was horriefing.
As soon I had a chance I would turn my head back to check if Bob and Gary are still there,
afraid that something might happened to them.I was holding so tight to the railing on the sides,trying not to be washed away from the bridge by the waves and the wind.I couldn't keep my head straight becouse of the waves,my back hurt,I need to go to the bathroom, but hey I didn't care.The most important was, I thought I will never see my two girls again.I have to admit, I cryed so hard.But it didn't matter becouse the waves would wash away my tears.
I prayed and prayed.I started in Croatian, continue in English,German,Italian...all the languages I could think of.As the storm became worst Bob and Gary started using the verry famous sailors
language and at one point I started praying to God" Please God don't listen to them..listen to me!!
To me the storm and the horror on the sea lasted forever.It is amazing what goes through your mind at the moments like this.The whole life was rolling in front of my eyes like watching a movie.I remembered every single person I met in my life,I remembered all that I always wanted to do and I never had chance, I remember all the promises I made to God.In my prayers to save us I made more promises,This one I have to keep.
Now, we are here, I'm here save and sound in my destination Port in St.Thomas, my new home,
at the first step of my new life.Thank you God, thank you Bob and Gary.
It is Friday afternoon, July 17th 4pm.Bob was on the bridge checking the damage in the boxes
with glass and other stuff.No damage!!He also gave a nice haircut to our crew member Mr.Palm Tree, the Survivor. He tried to jump overboard few times but Gary made sure he stays tying it up by four lines.The palm tree is growing two new branches.Huray...!!

Bob and I are trying to clean the boat and make Mary E shine and beutifull as she deserve it.
If it wasn't for MaryE we would never made it to here.Thanks Mary E.


Comment:this blog is writen in "croenglish"and I appologize for any grammar and spelling errors

Here are some pic's we would like to share with all of you who supported us all the way.!Capt'n Gary ,I hope you will approve your "paparazzi"Capt'Ginas pic's as well as" Bildge Monkey Bob"Capt'n Bob's effort to keep everything in control on the famous Mary E adventure.We love you.: 
 








5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! While there were times that you thought you wouldn’t make it, you found the strength to go on. No doubt your prayers were answered. When GaryG says things are serious & Bob agrees they’re REALLY SERIOUS.
    Thank you GaryS for your help and special thanks to GaryG for all that you have done to help Gina & Bob arrive safely.
    Bob & Gina, “while some people live to dream, others live their dream.” Congratulations on living your dream. LOL from all on the “Kristen Diana”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new blog! Keep us up to date on how everything is going. We really look forward to it. Gina's account of the infamous Turks to DR crossing is even more harrowing than Gary G's. The ancient Greeks had a saying..."When the Gods want to really test you, they answer your prayers." So it was with you. But, you passed the test and now you are rewarded with your earthly paradise. It doesn't get much better than that. Carol and I hope that all is well with both of you and if this cool, rainy weather persists much longer we're going to be your first visitors. We may decide to stay! Be well and God Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Gina ! You scared the heck outta me and I was there ! I love your update, you go girl. Hey Bob, I'm glad I wasn't there for that sh...ty bilge job. LOL, but you know I would have been. Thank you for all your kind words, I miss you guys more than you know. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Gina and Bobby, you two are awesone. Du bist sehr schoene und deine cro-english sind sehr schoen. Deine hertzlich denken (ein schuldingen sie aber meine Deutsche nicht so gut). Keep up the blogging, it lets us all know what craziness the two of you are having. God tested you all and we are happy you all passed the test and won. Our love to, hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update Gina, however, I am truly just amazed at your words on the infamous crossing from T & C to DR. You are truly an amazing woman, and deserve all the happiness in the world. I wish you many rainbows, lots of sunshine, and gallons of "scrubbly bubblies"! Bob and Gina, we can't wait to visit you! Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete